Frequently Asked Questions
UNI Foundation Mission: The UNI Foundation grows and sustains private resources and builds relationships to support the University of Northern Iowa, its students, faculty, staff and programs.
UNI Foundation Facts
- What is the UNI Foundation?
- Why is the Foundation separate from the University of Northern Iowa?
- Who governs the Foundation?
- What services does the Foundation provide for UNI?
- How does the Foundation invest the gifts it receives?
- How much does the Foundation spend to raise and manage its money?
- Can the public see how the Foundation spends its funds?
- Does the Foundation make grants?
UNI Foundation Fundraising
- Why does a state university need private support?
- How do UNI students benefit from the funds raised by the UNI Foundation?
- Who sets the fundraising priorities?
- Why do I get requests for contributions more than once a year?
- What is the difference between the request I get from the Annual Fund and the one I get from the Alumni Association?
Types of Gifts
- What is the difference between a restricted and an unrestricted gift?
- How do I direct my gift to a college, department, or program of my choice?
- Where does my contribution go if I don't direct it toward a specific fund?
- What is an endowment?
- Can I make a gift in honor or memory of someone?
- How do I participate in a matching gift program?
Methods of Making a Gift
- How can I make a gift of cash to the UNI Foundation?
- Can I give online?
- What are other ways of making a gift to the UNI Foundation?
- Can someone at the UNI Foundation help me arrange a gift that requires some financial planning?
- Is my gift to the UNI Foundation tax-deductible?
- How do I include UNI in my will or trust?
- I have more questions about giving - whom do I contact?
Stewardship of your Gift to the UNI Foundation
- What does the Foundation do with the gifts it receives?
- How does the Foundation make sure that the funds it receives are spent for the purposes intended by donors?
- How are student scholarship recipients chosen?
- What information does the UNI Foundation provide about its operations?
- How is the Foundation funded?
- Who audits the Foundation books?
- What is the Foundation's Tax Identification Number?